Thursday 10 April 2008

THURSDAY 10TH APRIL - Garden Party.

You are invited to my Garden Party - please come suitably equipped.



I was chatting on the phone at the weekend to a rather old lady -she was 90 last October - now I have never met Kate but have chatted to her for over a year. I am part of a volunteer group who ring blind or people with failing sight, who reside in Cornwall, for a weekly chat. The idea behind this is that due to their situation they often are on their own and miss the company of others.


Kate was telling me how she had walked to the end of her garden that morning and she was pretty pleased about this so we talked on about Spring and other chit chat.


She then told me that she had had a Garden Party during the week and it had been great fun. I was quite surprised as the weather hadn't been quite appropriate for such an event. I envisaged a typical English style garden party with little cakes, (called fancies!) and of course cucumber sandwiches and people sitting around in chairs on the lawn. Apparently I was half correct - there had been sandwiches etc but only after her friends had donned their gardening gloves wielded their trowels and little forks, planted a few new plants and tidied up Kate's garden for her. She is unable to do this for herself so this was a way of getting in done in a very social way. What fun!


Then she told me that when she had last moved house she had a Hanging Party - no this of course is not what it seems on first thought but people came and hung her pictures up for her as she is unable to do this for herself.


I don't think Kate is lonely and she makes me smile with her zest for life.


I hope if I get to 90 I am as game as this one old Cornish lady. I have never met Kate and most probably never will but I enjoy our chats as much as I hope she does.

By the way she does have some sight but sadly it is fading but she does enjoy what she can still see.

8 comments:

marymaryquitecontrary said...

It is fantastic that she is so mentally alert at her age. My grandmother told me about great things she had done the day before. I always thought, great Grandma! I found out when I mentioned one of these events to my Aunt that they were a figment of her imagination. I was so disappointed.

marymaryquitecontrary said...

It is fantastic that she is so mentally alert at her age. My grandmother told me about great things she had done the day before. I always thought, great Grandma! I found out when I mentioned one of these events to my Aunt that they were a figment of her imagination. I was so disappointed.

Claire said...

You must have felt so let down. I feel sure these things are not from an imaginary world as she often asks me about the things I have done remembering from week to week. At least I hope I am right. f only we could all look forward to an old age with an attitude like Kates.

Claire said...

MMQC: the reply is in the box above I forgot to put your name against it!! Now who is forgetting!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

What a cheering post. That is such a good idea to ring and chat to ladies such as this one - real community spirit.

Pam said...

How lovely!

Re the book - it's "Katey" by Lucinda Hawkesley. K was one of Dickens's daughters and LH is a great-great-granddaughter of CD, I think. The book was interesting but not very well written, I didn't think. A bit along the lines of "We don't know what she was thinking of but I think it might have been...." etc.

mountainear said...

I think when I'm in my nineties I'd like to have conversations with someone as young and interesting as you Kissa - it must be part of what keeps Kate so vivacious.

Claire said...

welshcakes: I think it is a good idea too!
isabelle:Thanks for the info on rhe book will try the library.
mountainear: Thanks me too!