Monday 7 April 2008

MONDAY 7TH APRIL - into the garden

About three weeks ago we planted some new Redcurrant bushes. We put good smelly manure into the holes, stamped down the earth around them and gave them a long drink and left them alone. They are thriving.

On Saturday as it was warmish we got down to the garden and planted some more things. First in went Spinach seeds and then Rocket seeds too.

Then Shallots were put into the ground snugly with a duvet of compost around them. Their neighbours were spring onions, radishes, lollo rosso and mixed Italian leaves whatever they are?!


Then onto the containers. We planted a bay bush which had outgrown its little pot into one in which it could spread its roots more widely. I am sure it will be happy.
Into some other containers went garlic - we eat such a lot of this but have never grown it until now but I am sure it will be easy! Corn salad in another one to add to the leaf varieties we will enjoy when the summer gets here.
The last pot had Russian Tarragon seeds which hopefully will look like this eventually.
We moved house last year and now have a small garden but want to see how productive it can be. More garden news when we start to eat the products we have lovingly put it their places.
AND YESTERDAY AND TODAY IT HAS SNOWED AND BEEN VERY COLD oh my poor babies!!


10 comments:

Petunia said...

Well, if the guy was so good looking , he didn't need a contact ad...did he??
You have done a make over on your blog, haven't you?
Love the head photo:)

Claire said...

So right about the guy with the boathouse. I constantly add or remove pics etc on my blog when the mood moves me. Keep watching!

Norma Murray said...

Your blog is just like a little garden in itself. I know how you feel. I've just put in my lovely chitted potatoes....and its freezing out there.

Sienna said...

Oh, and I feel sorry for the snowed in plants too, to be going so strong and then whammo.

We have had beautiful warm to hot weather here, alternating to really windy/gale force duststorms..

It's like a trip down memory lane, you are visiting places I travelled to..seeing some of the sights I treaded over the same path(s)-incredible.

I saw these places in autumn...mistly cool mornings and beautiful days (mostly!) the light was just amazing. Haven't been to some of the places for 10 years now.

Runrig are playing at EC!!!! That is worth a flight over for, they would be something to see live, the emotion they create with their music, when I first got their cd and was playing it on the way home in the car they had me in tears..

I am off to the most southern part of Australia for about a week, on business, but hope to get pics of the coast..I will wave to you mate..

Stay warm.

Pam

Claire said...

lampworkbeader: welcome. It was a sharpfrost this morning and everywhere looks so beautiful I'll just hope that the veggies are still snuggled down and ok.
sienna:Great to see you again. Rinrig's music catches the heart so glad you are enjoying it. Guess what? We are going to EC to see them. It is a long way from here but hey sometimes you just have to do these things. Calm about it now but I reckon I will be pretty excited by then.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hope your babies are recovering by now, kissa. Fascinated by the Russian tarragon and I miss redcurrants!

Claire said...

welshcakes:I think redcurrants are one of my favourite fruits.

Chris Benjamin said...

yep, i gotta go buy some seeds!

Leslie: said...

I don't dare put anything in the garden yet! It's still so cold, although today it did go up to about 12C.

By the way, I remember something about "rocket" from when I was in England last, but have forgotten exactly what it is. So???

Claire said...

benjibopper:Go get those seeds! It feels good to grow something such a basic activity. Simple pleasure.
leslie: Rocket is a peppery flavoured leaf which is very popular here which is often added to a mixed leaf side salad.