Thursday 6 March 2008

THURSDAY 6TH MARCH - Precious Ramotswe

We were very fortunate earlier this week to have a visit by Alexander MaCall Smith to talk about his books and in particular his No.1 Ladies Detective Series. He talked of the real characters who had inspired his fictional ones, his love of Botswana and how he writes. He was an amusing and interesting speaker and I am so glad I went to listen.
Cornwall is geographically at the end of the world and many people don't traverse the River Tamar and therefore perform, present, or speak on the Devon side of this boundary, so for such an eminent author to get to Truro is a real treat. His books are loved all over the world.

This is the ninth book in this series.






I just had to put some of the global covers here.

They are such gentle books and the crime is so acceptable!




8 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I love his books too, especially the "Bertie" ones. I'd love to hear him speak.

Claire said...

welshcakes:It was really clear why such a nice man writes such very nice books.

Jo said...

I have a friend who has read all his books. I'll have to tell her you met him.

Amazing!

Claire said...

josie: well met him not quite but I was in the audience which is almost the same but I doubt he even noticed me......shame!

mountainear said...

Your blog is just the boot up the bum I need to read his books - I'm ashamed to say I've not read any yet - though I loved the ones I've heard on the radio.

Where should I start?

Evalinn said...

Cool, I love those books!

Claire said...

mountainear: They will stand alone but as you say you haven't read any of them then start at the beginning you will get to know the characters better.
evalinn: I am sure the new one will be every bit as enjoyable as the others.

marymaryquitecontrary said...

I love the, Scotland Street series. I have bought several of his books on CD to listen to in the car. They are perfect for that. He was a lecturer at Queens University in Belfast in the seventies. So we claim his as "ONE OF US"