Wednesday 5 September 2007

WEDNESDAY 5TH SEPTEMBER - delicacy




I managed to bring home some food from Finland, bread and chocolate but on the last evening after a wonderful meal my friend went to her freezer to get some cloudberries :lakka: squashed them into a jar with some sugar.
I transported them through all the baggage handlers safely and to Cornwall.
I ate a few teaspoonfuls last night with ice-cream.
They are a wonderful food.
We can only buy them as very sugary jam in IKEA here in the UK which just isn't good enough.
Oh well the excuses to return to gather them in the wild.................

5 comments:

Sienna said...

What an incredible berry!

Just looked it up on Wiki...so many uses and components, looks like a gold blackberry actually.

Oh, welcome back by the way :)

This cloudberry is even on Finnish coin, and they can flavor beer with it! Amazing.

The leaf of the plant looks a little like a weed we have here, marshmallow plant, quite a pretty shaped leaf.

Really interesting Kissa, so you have close ties to Finland obviously...freest nation of the world....sounds like an incredible country, 307 people for each Doctor!! and a female President!
Majority of it's roads are paved, I wonder why that is? we have bitumen mainly here in Oz

Sorry, am fascinated by all this..I know very little about Finland.

Hyvasti Kissa.

Pam

Evalinn said...

We call them hjortron and they are delicious! They don´t grow down here, only up north :-(

Claire said...

Sienna: You are right they are an amazing berry. Finland has caught my imagination, I just love it in so very many ways infact I feel that I must be blind to the negatives.
Evalinn : I am feeling that I will have to move to the north.

Aku said...

You're right about lakka, it is delicious! And it's healthy, too! :)

I love it with vanilla ice cream. My family has it with this cheese called leipƤjuusto (literally bread cheese) which makez a squeezy sound on your teeth when you eat it. You should try that next time you're around!

Claire said...

Oh Aku we had it with the squeaky cheese which tasted great and made us laugh as we ate. I am going to speak to the guy in the cheese shop when next I am in town to see if he can get some for me. He likes a challenge!